south-african-krugerrand-gold-coin-22-karat-front

1 Troy Oz. South African Krugerrand Gold 22-Karat Coin

The South African Krugerrand, first minted in 1967 to market South African gold and produced by the South African Mint, quickly became the biggest selling gold coin in the world.

The Krugerrand’s weight is 1.0909 troy ounces. It is minted from gold alloy that is 91.67% pure (22 Karats). The coin contains 1 troy oz. of gold and the remaining 8.33% of the coin’s weight is copper, which gives the Krugerrand a more orange appearance than silver-alloyed gold coins. Copper alloy coins are more durable, producing a more wear-resistant coin.

The obverse (front) of the coin features a likeness of Paul Kruger, multi-term president of the old South African Republic.

The reverse (back) of the coin depicts a national symbol of South Africa, the springbok antelope.

Spencer Sterling FinancialGold Krugerrand